Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Who, What, Why - Understanding Your Most Valuable Resource, YOU!
As we move into 2006, I think it is appropriate for us to reflect on who we are, what we do, and why we do it. To accomplish this, I am going to challenge you with some questions to help you uncover what makes you do the things you do.
Understand that the more you put into searching for the answers, the more you will gain from what you uncover. Please avoid taking the short-cut of saying “I am too busy to do this right now” as this brief exercise is one of those little things that can greatly improve the probability of achieving success as a trader. The best traders I have ever worked with have one remarkable thing in common and it is called Self Awareness. They all know exactly WHO they are, WHAT drives them and WHAT throws them off their game. With that said, take a few minutes to read, reflect, and write in your trading journal.
1) Why have you chosen to trade for a living? In other words, are you passionate about what you do and, if so, what is it about trading that motivates you to be the best? (if you cannot think of anything, then you may have stumbled on more of an answer than you realize!)
2) What are your top strengths/weaknesses as a trader? What were your top strengths/weaknesses as an athlete?
3) Can you adjust your trading style to magnify your strengths and minimize your weaknesses?
4) What distracts you from being at your best?
5) What gets you focused?
6) What makes you nervous?
7) What gives you confidence?
8) Who do you view as your mentor?
9) Who are you a mentor to? (the best way to learn is to teach)
10) Are you willing to do what it takes to reach your full potential as a trader?
“A person who does not take the time to ask themselves the hard questions unknowingly gives up the opportunity to achieve their potential.”
Trust me, your efforts will not be wasted as you will be uncovering your most valuable, yet underutilized resource – YOU!
Keep your eye on the ball and your head in the game!
-- The Head Coach
Copyright 2006, Doug Hirschhorn All Rights Reserved